Book to Film Adaptations for the New Year!
One of the biggest accomplishments in the literary world is a story’s transition from book to silver screen. Some movie deals don’t always happen (I’ve been waiting for a TV adaptation of Garth Nix’s The Old Kingdom series for years…), but the ones that do, tend to cement the author in a celebrity status that writers only dream about. Last year, we had a couple of awesome adaptations hit movie theaters across the world: Mortdecai starring Johnny Depp (based off of the Mortdecai Trilogy by Kyril Bonfiglioli), The Last Apprentice starring Jeff Bridges (based off of the series of the same name by Joseph Delaney), Frankenstein (by my favorite, Mary Shelley) starring James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe, and not to mention some awesome sequels like the last installment of The Hunger Games and the second in the Divergent series.
There are a couple of new additions this year that I think all of us horror/ fantasy/sci-fi/ classic literature fans can get super excited about. There are some TV releases, too, proving that the literary world is expanding and reaching new audiences. Did you know that the published novel industry has actually grown this past year? Yay! More people are reading! I just love that the book culture is getting more popular, based on seeing the rise in film adaptations, booktubers (Youtubers who focus on Young Adult books and reviews), book-based merchandise on etsy, and book blogs.
But for now, here’s the list of upcoming film and TV adaptations to expect in the year to come!
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling
- Allegiant by Veronica Roth
- The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
- Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth-Grahame Smith
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
- Amityville: The Awakening based on the book by Jay Anson
- The Shannara Chronicles by Terry Brooks
- Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) by George R.R. Martin
- The Expanse by James S. A. Corey (pen name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck)
There are talks in the works about adapting J.K. Rowling’s Cormoran Strike series to BBC One (and HBO??) and also a movie AND TV deal for Patrick Rothfuss’ The Kingkiller Chronicles (thanks, Lionsgate!). Hopefully he publishes the third in the trilogy soon!
Is there a movie or show coming out that I forgot to mention? Or one that’s already been released that you just couldn’t get enough of? Let me know!
Until next time!